What Is Inspiration And Where To Find It


Sometimes, I used to think what exactly is inspiration? I looked in the dictionary and thesaurus and found out that inspiration is similar with vision (which most people have), genius (hmm…maybe only a chosen few of us are), and also it’s synonymous to influence (now, this really depends on the person and circumstances). But how do you define inspiration-- is it something you do, see, hear, taste or smell? Is it anything which any of your five senses can perceive? It depends on the person really, the reasons behind why we look for it and the various situations surrounding it.

And real inspiration can be compared to a fingerprint, different for every person. My close friend Jessah is a musician and gets her motivation from the different sounds that we have around us. We were out walking in a rainforest one time and I brought along my camera as usual. Then, we came to a nearby clearing and we decided to sit awhile and bask in the relaxing atmosphere that surrounds us. Nature really has some of the greatest and the most original and best pieces of art for those of us that truly take time to notice. As for me, I started to take note all the things I can utilize in my work…the rough edges of the rocks, the shape and majesty of the trees, the grandeur and contour of the heavenly clouds.

However, my friend Jessah just sat down still while listening to the gay birds chirping, the subtle rustle of the leaves, and feeling the cool breeze over the mountains. She actually wanted to work out how to represent everything she absorbs in her music so that other people too would feel as what we did that day. Therefore, same feeling, different people, same atmosphere or setting, different focus—the common denominator is we were both inspired. For an artist like me, I am asked oftentimes where I get the needed inspiration for my work. So instead of my head, I can look into my heart for the answer to that.

Then, the best that I can come up with is anything that moves me as a person, fosters and animates me to do and prod me to do something that I enjoy and love doing. As to where inspiration could be found, well, that’s actually an easy one. If you want inspiration or need it that bad, look around you! It could be found wherever you go and just open your eyes to perceive it. Inspiration can be found everywhere. The universe can always provide something for you. But if you’re waiting for it to strike you like a flash of lightning, well, I suggest that you rely on yourself to get you off your cute little tush and go and look around to find the things to inspire you to lead you into the pathway to your destiny.

Inspiration is after all that very thing which makes you chase your dreams. It’s that blissful and exciting feeling that you get when your heart glides and your soul is moved.

No comments: